Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Iron Man Update and Vender Showcase

Ok I am here with a update on Iron Man. This is going to double as my first vender showcase. Today I will be talking about my friend Ryan Brooks aka TheRealStark. He is vender on the forum therpf.com under the name TheRealStark. He builds custom Iron Man electronics including walking sound effects, repulsors, helmet hinges, and unibeams. I will be showcasing the repulsors and his older unibeam model. He has since stopped production the the unibeam that I have, but has a comparable model in the works.

Ok on to the fun!
The repulsors that I ordered are the ones that have sounds, and they do sound great. The package includes 2 circuits, 2 costume designed LED boards, 2 speakers, 2 batteries, and a charging cable.
The circuits are very small, just a hair over a square inch. They have a tilt sensor that will read the position of your hand. When you put your hand up, just like Iron Man does to fire his repulsor beam, the LEDs will brighten and flash, and there will be a charging and blast sound. Very cool, but my favorite feature is when you put your hand down, in a prone position, the light will fade off and you will have a powering down sound. This give two great things in one, first being it looks like the movie when Iron Man powers down his repulsors, but also saves on the battery. This is a very well thought out design and set of features.



Next is the Unibeam. The model that I have has three modes, first being steady on, second being a blast, and third being a battle damage mode. The modes are switched by waving a magnet by a reed switch hidden in the unit. When you first turn on the unibeam, you get a fade on of the LEDs and a charging up sound. Once the unibeam is "charged," it will have a nice steady sound, almost like electrical humming. When you wave the magnet by, the LEDs brighten, it makes a charging sound, then a blasting sound with flashing lights, then will return to a steady on. Wave the magnet by again and the LEDs start to flicker at a random rate, as well as a damaged electrical sound.  Wave the magnet again and you are brought back to the steady on with the humming sound. Currntly Ryan offers a unibeam circuit that functions the same as what I have, but much more compact. There are plans to offer a housing for the new model sometime in the future, but I cannot speak on that for certain.

Unibeam pictures coming soon

Now back to the Iron Man suit. When I built the suit last year, I had bought the unibeam from Ryan and it was already incorporated into the suit. I have since upgraded my simple, and ugly, hand repulsors to the ones that Ryan offers. I am currently waiting for a new set of gloves to install the repulsors into, as my gloves have been worn down pretty good. Once I get the gloves I will upload some of my personal videos of the suit and the parts from Ryan all working.

Until then, check out the videos from TheRealStark here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyyYQ9YSya4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpdg8_5Mu0

Also be sure to check out his sale threads at therpf.com
You need to register in order to view the junkyard threads where his items can be purchased and viewed. Its free to register and is a great community for anyone who loves movies and costumes!

No comments:

Post a Comment